In order to have a successful fitness business, you have to have a team.
I don’t mean just a group of people that work together which is often what I see.
My definition is this: people that come together do achieve a common mission together.
This is integral for small business especially fitness because it can be a real issue since most trainers are pompous and egotistical.
Ways to remedy it? Build A TEAM
Team Building Defined
- Team building is an ongoing process that helps a work group evolve into a cohesive unit. The team members not only share expectations for accomplishing group tasks, but trust and support one another and respect one another’s individual differences. http://ucsfhr.ucsf.edu/index.php/pubs/hrguidearticle/chapter-14-team-building/
- For interns, this is great for them to be incorporated into the facility family.
- Helps to foster a cooperative environment in your facility.
- Increased communications with coaches as team members and individuals.
- Increased productivity.
- Increased motivation.
- Higher levels of job satisfaction and commitment.
- Increased levels of support.
- Various “coaching styles” working well together.
- Increased clarity with coaching objectives
- Increased adherence to policies and procedures
Team Building Ideas
- Define TEAM.
- Be clear when communicating.
- Encourage trust.
- Clearly define visions and goals of the facility.
- Set ground rules and policies.
- Workout together
- Spend time outside of the gym together
Signs Of A Weak Team
- Decreased productivity
- Conflicts or hostility among staff members
- Confusion about assignments, missed signals, and unclear relationships
- Decisions misunderstood or not carried through properly
- Apathy and lack of involvement
- Lack of initiation, imagination, innovation; routine actions taken for solving complex problems
- Complaints of discrimination or favoritism
- Ineffective staff meetings, low participation, minimally effective decisions
- Negative reactions to the manager
- Complaints about quality of service
How does your team compare to this? If its good, then keep plugging away.
If not, begin to build a system of building the team of your dreams.
Then, watch your business grow!
To your success,