This is a topic that I love to revisit as often as possible!
I think its a path that most are on and desire to excel at.
Presently, my coaching staff is reading the book “Chop Wood Carry Water” and this little book is full of amazing wisdom!
I thought I would share my last lesson with the team…
- Mastery moves in steps not constants. Many of us like to quit, even if it’s not for good, the minute things don’t go the way we think they should. That’s not mastery. Don’t give in, the challenge just means you will see another growth spurt soon!
- Aim with Everything! The path to mastery will take all you have, literally every bit of your soul. Many of us aim and miss the target but mastery will require us to aim with everything you have! Stay focused on your goals and pay close attention to detail. To master anything, you must know every little detail.
- The story of Bamboo: Bamboo: takes 5 years to see growth. In these 5 years it will take constant attention while above the ground you will see no progress. Its what is happening beneath that matters, it’s the foundation, necessary for the growth that will take place. In year 5, the bamboo will likely grow to over 90 feet and out of control almost immediately. Without this process, the bamboo would not be able to survive.
- Distractions will always be there. No matter what, someone or something will distract us. Take them head on believing that you will find a path either above them, around them or through them!
In the path to mastery, you will have signs to help direct your way just like on a highway at night.
1. Mile markers- proof on the road of mastery.
- Am I going in the right direction?
- This is hard, I don’t feel lilke doing this.
- Everyone else has more time than me.
- This is not making a difference.
- Almost no one else is doing this.
Be aware of the things around you so that you will know what direction you are heading.
- Talk to your self instead of listening, if you listen, you tell yourself what you want to hear.
- What can I do to make it better rather than why is this happening to me? (victim mentality)
- Live by principles rather than feelings. Your feelings will always lie to you and cause you to make bad decisions.
3. Warning Signs
- Your choice creates your challenges (including how you think about something.)
- Building your own house. Be careful how your build your house, its yours to keep.
- You reap what you sow.
- The grass is green where you water it.
- The wise man finds diamonds on his own land. Everything you need for mastery is found within you!
Some awesome take-aways:
- Very few people chose mastery. Is mastery what you really want and is your life proof of it?
- There will always be people to try and thwart you and circumstances that come up, continue to move forward.
- Turn your challenges into a refinery that shape your character and skills! (love this)
I hope this helps you today, it totally did for us!
To your success,